Prevent Pressure Sores with Medical Sheepskin
Posted on4 Years ago by
Bedsores and pressure injuries are some of the easiest to prevent in-hospital complications. However, they also have one of the highest rates of development in the United States. In 2006, roughly 323,000 cases of pressure sores were documented by Medicare. This problem needs addressed right away, and one of the best and easiest solutions to this problem is using medical sheepskins for bedsores.
Medical Sheepskins for BedsoresMedical sheepskins for bedsores are perfect to provide cushion and support to bedridden and wheelchair bound patients to keep their skin comfortable. Medical sheepskin products now are widely used in health care because of the following qualities of natural wool fibers:
- Natural wool fibers are soft and springy. The natural structure of wool fibers gives it its soft and springy quality. These, in turn, distribute the weight of the body and reduce the stress on the pressure points. This is a crucial factor in avoiding bedsores.
- They don’t cause friction on the skin like normal fabrics do. Friction irritates the skin and causes sores to develop. Medical sheepskin eliminates this risk.
- Sheepskin also allows air to circulate the skin. This offers the skin more breathability and ventilation.
- Wool fibers resist bacterial growth. This reduces the risk of developing blisters and sores caused by bacterial infections on pressure points.
- Sheepskin stays warm after absorbing a certain amount of moisture. Even if the patient perspires quite heavily, their skin will stay dry because of sheepskin’s ability to absorb moisture efficiently.