Amazing products that come from sheep & wool
Sheep produce an amazing variety of different products that can be used for many purposes. We will go over some of the more popular products that come from sheep and what they are used for.
- The most widely known sheep product is wool , which is used in many different types of clothing. It’s also used to make carpets and other diverse products, such as being used to fill mattresses and create tennis ball covers.
- Lanolin or wool wax, is a byproduct of wool. Lanolin is used in cosmetics and pharmaceuticals, as well it is used in making tape, printing inks and motor oils. Almost all beauty aids such as lipsticks, mascara and shampoos contain lanolin.
- Sheep cheese is used to make some of the world’s most famous cheeses . Cheeses such as Rogquefort, Feta and Ricotta are made using sheep’s milk. Sheep’s milk is also used to make yogurt, butter and ice cream.
- The skins from the sheep are used to create high quality leather. Also, sheepskin is commonly used to make the chamois cloth that is used for car washing.
- Persian lambskin is often used in fur coats and in fur trimmed accessories.
- Alternative uses for wool are increasing. For example, bricks reinforced with wool are stronger and less toxic than traditional bricks.
- Wool is being used for science and technology as the wool proteins are being used to create new wound dressings, bone graft implants and medical sutures.
As you have just read, you can see just how versatile sheep are and how they are used for so many items. So when you next wear your wool sweater, remember how amazing sheep really are!